Monday, March 18, 2013

Cons

I meant to write this blog before I had surgery, but with all the preparations and confusion I never got the chance. I know in my pros post I stated that I had done all I could to lose weight without surgical intervention. I have thought long and hard about this and at the risk of sounding redundant wish to offer more explanation. I stated that I had done all I could, not all that could be done. Have I gotten up at 4 am and run 6 miles? No. Have I done an extreme diet excluding lots of foods? Nope didn't do that either. We all see shows like the Biggest Loser, or magazine articles stating that the cover person is now "half his/her size!!!" with a diet inside and an explanation of how they dropped said weight. I used to look at these things and wonder why not me? Why couldn't I just get up and run my weight away? Have the will power to not eat most of the delicious things I am surrounded by everyday? So I tried the weight lose methods previously mentioned. I can't run my doctor has told me that it would be more detrimental then helpful due to the extreme amount of weight on my joints, so there goes that idea. A diet of exclusion doesn't work all the time, for anyone, it's not lack of will power because I am perfectly capable to deny myself my favorite foods. Just like any human I am flawed however and a few months into only eating certain things will literally drive you insane!! That is why the Weight Watchers program is so great because you can eat whatever you want as long as you count it. Science has proven that exclusion diet is not successful long term and depending on the type of diet can even be dangerous. Also never tried diet pills, not even gonna go into an explanation for that. Phen phen anyone? I am taking the time to further explain these reasons, because I think the most detrimental lies are the ones we tell ourselves. I want everyone who may read this to know that a lot of thought was put into this decision and it was not made lightly. I did my best it didn't work, I looked at all aspects and decided on this one.

Now here are the things that worry me about this surgery:
More surgeries, mainly plastic surgery. I have never been one to seek out plastic surgery. The question "if you could have plastic surgery on anything what would it be?"  has always given me pause. Although I don't have a great body, it is my body and I have always been satisfied with what I have.  Now don't get me wrong I have absolutely no issues with people who have plastic surgery. I am just a big chicken, and don't want the pain if what I have is good enough. I have this plastic surgery fear, because the majority of gastric bypass patients I know have had to have excess skin removal, and boob jobs if they were female. I feel I will fall into this category.  I am not a vain person for the most part, but if I have enough extra skin to give me flying squirrel capabilities and no boobs I will definitely be calling a surgeon!!
Never being able to eat a full meal again. I have taken for granted the ability to eat a whole hamburger, or all of Thanksgiving dinner. I will never be able to do that again. I won't be able to eat ice cream with out having a reaction akin to food poisoning. I will have trouble eating many foods I use to love. I can never chew gum or drink soda again. I can't even drink out of a straw! I am okay with this out come because I definitely understand that this surgery is a giant lifestyle change, it's just nice to have the option to be a glutton if I want to. I guess in time I will get used to it. It is definitely going to take some time.
Death. Obviously with any surgery that is a concern. Any number of things can go wrong. ( Obviously since I am writing this nearly a week after my surgery I survived.)

I don't have very many concerns about the surgery, lifestyle adjustments will be multiple and hard. I am committed to making them I know it is for the best in the long run. No matter how hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment